Contexte du recrutement et définition de poste :
Zero Waste Europe
The mission of Zero Waste Europe (ZWE) is to empower communities in order to redesign our relationship with resources. We campaign for zero waste strategies in Europe and beyond, and support local groups and change agents who have the potential to drive change in their region. Currently, ZWE is the only pan-European organisation specialising in waste issues from prevention to disposal and on local, national and European levels. ZWE is the European chapter of the Global Alliance for Incinerator Alternatives (GAIA).
ZWE is an independent, non profit association created in late 2013 in the Netherlands aiming to:
- Promote zero waste strategies in Europe and elsewhere;
- Act as a catalyst for European good practices in the field of circular economy, waste and resources;
- Empower local groups to develop community-based strategies for the prevention, reduction, separation, recycling, and composting of waste;
- Promote a responsible treatment of waste and prevention of non-sustainable solutions such as landfilling and incineration;
- Increase awareness about the health effects of the current economy of waste disposal, and promote non-toxic alternatives;
- Promote environmental and social justice.
We are a successful and fast-growing NGO where personal development, fairness and inclusiveness are high on the agenda.
Rethink Plastic alliance
The Rethink Plastic alliance is the European policy arm of the Break Free From Plastic movement, and brings together the 10 leading European NGOs working on plastics policy at the EU level. Zero Waste Europe hosts the coordination of the alliance.
You are a motivated and committed individual with an eye for media stories and the ability to communicate about complex topics in a simple (but not simplistic) and user-friendly way. Media relations and press outreach activities are your forte, and you have a track record of good relationships with Brussels and European media titles and reporters. You look forward to implementing strategic, proactive, long-term approaches to an organisation’s media presence.
About the role
ZWE is looking for an experienced media relations specialist to join the Communications team. As a Press Officer, you will deliver on strategies that generate high-impact media coverage on specific policy priorities and projects.
Strategic and proactive, you'll have good judgement and sound understanding of political, social and economic trends. You'll be up to speed with the rapidly-changing media landscape and have a strong eye for a story.
You will be responsible for helping to implement ZWE’s and RPa’s communications strategies by writing media plans, press releases, pitches, statements, and blogs, and responding to media enquiries.
This position, based in Brussels, reports to the Communications Coordinator and is a member of the Communications Team supporting ZWE's and RPa’s work.
The core responsibilities of the Press Officer will be to:
- Being the point of contact for all press and media enquiries directed at Zero Waste Europe
- Managing and implementing media outreach designed to inform policymakers and other influential stakeholders
- Building strong working relationships with a comprehensive list of journalists, editors, producers, and digital media in Brussels and in EU countries/cities
- Being responsible for both reactive and proactive media activity, managing press office enquiries, and developing media campaigns
- Supporting spokespeople across the organisation with briefings, messaging, and talking points for media interviews
- Being responsible for keeping abreast of news agendas and EU institutions issues, proactively identifying media opportunities (interviews, op-eds, …)
- Working with the Communications team to deal with crisis and issues, and collaborating with other team members (Policy Team and Management)
- Liaising with the press during times of crisis management or unexpected negative Public Relations incidents
- Creating and maintaining media lists and press materials, with full tracking and reporting
- Proofreading, and where necessary rewriting, statements from team members
- Being responsible for drafting and sending press releases in collaboration with the Comms Team and the Policy Team, and following up with media contacts for collateral materials
- Maintaining and updating monthly media monitoring reports
- Ensuring the integration of digital and social media alongside any press and media campaigns by working closely with the rest of the Comms Team
- Responding to media inquiries and being available for interview support outside of working hours, on a reasonable basis
Location, Compensation and Work Environment
This is a full-time position based in Brussels. The initial contract will be closed for a one-year period, with a likelihood to be extended into a long term contract depending on available funding. A valid working permit for Belgium is required.
We offer a competitive NGO salary plus benefits, including lunch vouchers, a 13th month proportionate to your time worked during the year, 20 vacation days plus 4-10 extra-legal holidays, travel insurance, additional maternity/paternity leave, and other similar employment protections.
Salary will be negotiated according to a transparent bandwidth defined by the internal salary policy of the organisation and depending on your experience.
We take pride in our ability to support one another's work in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect, and look forward to introducing the successful candidate to our welcoming and highly motivated team and network members.
Start date: As soon as possible.
Equal Employment opportunity
ZWE is committed to the principle of Equal Employment Opportunity for all employees, regardless of sex, marital status, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation and any other characteristics unrelated to the performance of the job.
Please send your CV and motivation letter in English with two references by filling in the following form: https://forms.gle/vsPMzcVRUTFRagB8A. We can only guarantee that short-listed candidates will be contacted. Position remains open until filled.
Deadline to apply: January 31st, 2021, at 23:59 CEST.
Profil recherché :
- 3- 5 years of experience required in media relations and campaign communications, preferably with non-profit advocacy organisations and with a solid network of media contacts in the Brussels/European bubble
- A university degree relevant to the position
- Experience in securing earned media in Europe
- Understanding of traditional media and integration of social media into media campaigns
- Fluency in English (speaking and writing)
- Strong writing skills as they will be writing press releases, articles, reports, and content ensuring they reflect the organisations’ style and messaging
- Ability to synthesise and summarise large amounts of information and identify, understand, and address different policy perspectives and tell complicated policy and research stories
- Good project management skills and attention to detail
- Ability to set short- and long-term planning goals in line with agreed strategy
- Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
- Sound judgment, ability to make decisions, and be responsive, clear, and sensitive with colleagues and partners
- Ability to work autonomously and to take leadership on projects
- Ability to work productively with a wide array of different and culturally diverse people
- Working knowledge of G Suite, Mailchimp and Microsoft Office
- An understanding of EU institutions and how they interact
- Experience working on topics related to EU policy
- Experience in creating and maintaining media lists from different countries and different languages
- Passionate about environmental issues
- Experience with Wordpress
- Proficiency in French
- Solid IT competences with collaborative tools (Slack, Trello)
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities
- Initiative, self-motivation and team player
- Problem-solving attitude and results-oriented
- You should relish the opportunity to solidify and expand ZWE’s media presence
- Commitment to accuracy, efficiency, and a high standard of work
- Ability and willingness to use initiative and take decisions under pressure and uncertainty
- A strong commitment to Zero Waste Europe’s ethos and network structures
- Willingness to work with flexible schedule, as required